Based in Mowbray, Cape Town, the TCAE seeks to appoint an
The Tshisimani Centre for Activist Education (TCAE) is a South African-based, globally oriented, hub for political education. Located in a country, continent and region plagued by centuries of political, economic and cultural dispossession, the TCAE focuses on strengthening, through education, the power and capacity of grass-roots organisations, social movements and networks to address inequality and injustice.TCAE’s educational offerings are shaped significantly around the needs of its activist partners.
TCAE, founded in 2016, is looking to appoint an Executive Director (ED) with proven leadership skills, a strong vision for activist education, an understanding of the local and global social justice and political landscapes, to lead the Centre into its next phase of development.
Key responsibilities of the Executive Director will include:
Key requirements include:
- Substantial experience as an activist leader working for social justice, including extensive hands-on experience in grassroots organising, community-based struggles, progressive social movements and campaigns;
- Strong knowledge of political economy, history, social theory, and educational theory and practice;
- Strong knowledge and work experience in developing political and popular educational programs using multiple mediums;
- Experience in designing and implementing educational offerings that build the capacity of activists and communities to understand social phenomena such as inequality, injustice, race and class formation, to develop and implement effective strategies, and to take meaningful, effective and responsible action;
- Enthusiasm for, and experience in building the knowledge, confidence and leadership capacity of young people;
- Demonstrated commitment to building and engaging with local, regional and global networks of activists and activist education initiatives;
- Sound experience and skills in leading and managing people, financial and material resources;
- Experience in building and sustaining collaborative team work with staff and partners;
- Ability to build consensus and partnerships whilst acknowledging where ideas are contested.
- Proficiency in English is essential. Proficiency in other South African and global languages would be a strong recommendation.
The TCAE is committed to equity in employment practices and is keen to make an appointment to meet these objectives. For this post we seek particularly to attract Black South African candidates. All other interested candidates, including foreign nationals, are eligible to apply.
This position is based in Mowbray, Cape Town and is being offered as a five-year contract. Salary will be commensurate with experience and is market-related.
TCAE is housed in a recently restored, custom-designed building for activist education with a range of new workspaces and facilities. To find out more about TCAE and Bertha House click here.
Interested candidates must send a letter of motivation, contact details of 3 work related referees, and a CV to MaraisButton & Associates. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date is 30 April 2019. Contact will only be made with shortlisted candidates.